Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Crummy New York State of Mind

It's a dark day in my Nashville office. I have rolled up my Green Bay rug and hidden my Packers mug in the desk. Been shopping on NFL.com for the latest in FavreWear (above).

Brett Favre has moved from the smallest market in the NFL to the largest, and Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy have lost a fan forever.

Favre will be fine. He may not have a great chance of turning a 4-12 team into a winner, but he'll be in the spotlight, where he thrives. It seems like a low pressure deal for him. If he plays badly, he's washed up -- which some people already believe. If he leads the Jets to the promised land, he'll be the toast of New York. I am thinking playoffs for the Jets. The man can't walk on water, but he's close.

It's not so easy for the Packers. They were a win away from the Super Bowl with my boy Brett a year ago. Now, they'll be expected to make the final step with Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn, all of whom have a combined ZERO starts at quarterback in the NFL.

The Packers will be fortunate to make the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers will be fortunate NOT to lose his mind. Thompson and McCarthy will be on their way out of Green Bay in a short period of time.

There is no sympathy for them here. They have traded the greatest Packer of all time for a fourth-round draft pick. They will get what they deserve.

The late great Lewis Grizzard wrote a comedy book entitled "They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat.''

That's exactly my sentiment today.

No comments: