Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Good News from the Election

If you're expecting one of those handwringing diatribes from a disappointed evangelical Christian right wing type, you've come to the wrong place.

I haven't been listening to Michael Stipe crooning "The End of the World As We Know It" and seeking to find a bunker in Montana to crawl into. I really do feel fine, even though I am a little red-eyed from watching 10 channels of election coverage in rapid fire succession.

Don't get me wrong, I am not pleased ...

about Barack Obama appointing federal judges for the next four years.

about a pro-abortion president being in office.

about any president who is intent on forcing wealth re-distribution on all of us.

But I am ...

proud America has elected its first African-American president. I would have been more excited and proud if it had been Condoleeza Rice or J.C. Watts.

proud a revolution took place in America last night and not a shot was fired.

pleased we have president who is physically able to play a respectable game of hoops and understands every day should include some basketball.

glad our new president expresses faith in Jesus Christ, even if his positions don't seem to line up with that faith. Heck, quite a few of my actions and positions don't line up with my Savior either.

jubilant about how many new voters took part in the election.

pumped up that America is truly the land of opportunity, where anyone can be president.

pleasantly surprised that a gay marriage ban was put on the books in California by voters. My guess is the afore-mentioned Mr. Stipe is probably not feeling fine about that balloting.

expecting in four to eight years there will be counter-revolution, complete with genuine conservative principles of governing. Remember the name Bobby Jindal, the current governor of Louisiana. He will be the next Republican president, either in 2012 or 2016. Count on it.

I will preach on one point here. It's time we cut George W. Bush a break. Try being president during a massive terrorist attack and the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. He didn't create either of these situations. He just had to deal with them.

I have plenty of differences of opinion with W. But I do think history will be much kinder to him than America has been for the last 12 months.

No comments: